LILONGWE — The Malawian government announced Wednesday that it had hired two buses to repatriate nationals who were displaced following xenophobic attacks on foreigners in South Africa.
The buses left Johannesburg on Tuesday evening and the repatriated Malawians would be back home on Thursday, Secretary for the Department of Disaster Management Affairs Wilson Moleni said in a statement.
Moleni said the repatriation operation was decided after the government received a report from the Malawi High Commission in South Africa saying that 113 Malawians had been displaced.
The displaced Malawians were being kept in temporary shelters set by the South Africa’s disaster management authorities in Katlehong town, 35 km east of Johannesburg, said the secretary in the statement.
He added: “Out of the 113 displaced Malawians, 76 expressed willingness to return home.”
Upon arrival, the repatriated Malawian nationals will be provided with temporary shelter in the commercial city of Blantyre before traveling to their various destinations, according to Moleni.